TELEFOOD ACTIVITIES IN
Excellency, the President of the United
First Lady Mama Anna Mkapa,
The Chairman of the National TeleFood Committee, Mr. Tramontano,
Ladies and Gentlemen
1. Your Excellency, the President, May I take this opportunity to thank you for accepting to grace the TeleFood Gala night, despite your busy schedule. Your presence at this event is a testimony of how much you value TeleFood activities in the country.
2. Your Excellecy,
4. Your Excellency, lack of adequate food intake, which is manifested in high prevalence of Protein Energy malnutrition in the country is caused by lack of means to produce adequate food or ability to access adequate food. In addition, biases in intra-household distribution, mainly caused by faulty traditions in some of our communities is another cause of food insecurity.
localized food insecurity and hunger are common and continue to be influenced
by lack of access and inadequate resources at the household level. In addition, variation in
food security are significant.
The range for calorie intake varies from one farming system to
another. For example, the information we have show that, the
millet/sorghum and the coffee/banana farming systems fall short of the FAO threshhold of 2,300 calories per capita per day. I am glad to note that, TeleFood
6. Your Excellency, various surveys conducted in the country show that the rural population and the rural poor in particular, tend to specialize in production of a single cereal, with half of them producing maize. The TeleFood campaign has for the past five years been trying to reach out to these people and assist them to diversity. Some of the projects implemented include grain milling, tree planting, fishing and fish marketing, horticulture, livestock keeping and pasture production. These projects are relatively small costing between $ 5,000 and $ 10,000. However, these projects have proved to be sustainable and have contributed immensely in; reducing food insecurity, raising incomes and built confidence of people in the target areas.
Excellency, May I
at this juncture, take this opportunity to commend the Chairperson of The Equal
Opportunity Trust Fund and Patroness of TeleFood
8. TeleFood projects have been successful in
9. Your Excellency, after presenting a summary of the food security situation and TeleFood activities in the country, may now welcome you to give us your wisdom which will guide and provide us with new impetus in implementing our future activities.